Start Live Monitoring - remote server

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Hi!

Is it possible to do live monitoring of remote server ? If I start LogViewer on my workstation and press live monitoring button, it says

Microsoft Sharepoint is not installed on this machine

Thanks for a nice app.

Best reagards,
Rustam

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Rustam you can do live monitoring only on a SharePoint farm node.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I am running a standalone implementation on Sharepoint 2010 Server, Windows 2008 R2 and I am getting this error.  Initially worked just fine, installed some components to search pdf's and preview documents and now i get this error each and every time i try to see the live logs... any ideas what might be going on?  any configs i can look at to tweak it back into shape?

Dave

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Dave try running the viewer with admin privileges.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Thanks for that info, I debugged the source and it looks like the wss registry key is at fault, commented that out and its working fine again.

Dave

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Hello Dodge,

Could you please explain exactly where you commented the wss registery key, because I have the same problem.

Also to do live monitoring on remote server I guess I should enter the url (http://mysharepointwebsite.com )of my sharepoint server... How to do that ?

Do we need permissions to be able to remotly monitore the logs ?

thank you

Coordinator
Mar 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM

wijm entering a url somewhere won't make the log viewer automatically start monitoring logs of a remote server. The way it is implemented, it can not monitor remote servers. Only local sharepoint farm.

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM

This did the trick... it's built to look for 2007 first, then 2010... i don't care about 2007 in my work, so I can comment that stuff out and just focus on 2010.

static RegistryKey GetMOSSRegistryKey()

{

RegistryKey key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0");//key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\12.0");

//if (key == null)

//key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0");

return key;

}

static RegistryKey GetWSSRegistryKey()

{

RegistryKey key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0");//key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\12.0");

//if (key == null)

//key = Registry.LocalMachine.OpenSubKey(@"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0");

return key;

}

Dodge

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I have the same problem running as admin on a SP WFE.  I'm hesitant changing the code as recommended above. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM
You could add the key that is missing by hand, but that sounds even worse to perform...
Sent from my ASUS Pad

ehalsey <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I have the same problem running as admin on a SP WFE. I'm hesitant changing the code as recommended above. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

The key is there. I’m guessing the issue might be permissions related but as I mentioned I run as Admin and I’m an administrator on the box.

Thanks,

Eric F. Halsey MCP, MCTS| ehalsey@a-cto.com | mobile 714-235-1024

Description: cid:421310616@17072009-0520

A CTO, LLC | 16292 Arlington Ln, Huntington Beach, CA 92649

IM ehalsey@messengeruser.com | fax 928-244-1024

Bridge Line (218) 486-1600 Access Code 225560

Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my firm are neither given nor endorsed by it.

Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:42 AM
To: ehalsey@socal.rr.com
Subject: Re: Start Live Monitoring - remote server [sharepointlogviewer:262648]

You could add the key that is missing by hand, but that sounds even worse to perform...
Sent from my ASUS Pad

I have the same problem running as admin on a SP WFE. I'm hesitant changing the code as recommended above. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Which key, both keys? Because that is the bug in the code... it looks for one and then the other, since it looks for 07 key first, and if you only have 10 running, the 07 key isn't there, so it breaks... that's why i commented out the 07 key sniff code, as I only use 10... you could add the 07 key by hand and get the same results... leave the 10 key as it is.

David Shumate

Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:43 PM
To: dave_shumate@hotmail.com

The key is there. I’m guessing the issue might be permissions related but as I mentioned I run as Admin and I’m an administrator on the box.

Thanks,

Eric F. Halsey MCP, MCTS| ehalsey@a-cto.com | mobile 714-235-1024

A CTO, LLC | 16292 Arlington Ln, Huntington Beach, CA 92649

IM ehalsey@messengeruser.com | fax 928-244-1024

Bridge Line (218) 486-1600 Access Code 225560

Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my firm are neither given nor endorsed by it.

Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:42 AM
To: ehalsey@socal.rr.com

Sent from my ASUS Pad

Thanks,
Eric

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

12 & 14 keys exist in both areas.